How To Love Being a Homemaker.
Ok I know, most of us get sick and tired of cleaning and keeping the house up day after day. If you have kids it’s even worse. Most days it feels like I’m taking one step forward and two steps back.
I saw a saying once that said ” Cleaning the house with kids around is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.” Well I have three kids and three dogs so it’s more like sweeping your front porch in the middle of a sand storm! I battle toys, crumbs, dog hair and toothpaste in the sink everyday.
Growing up I always wanted to be a stay at home mom. I wanted to take care of the kid, clean the house and cook meals for my family. I still enjoy it and wouldn’t change it for anything but there are days I have to remind myself why I do it and make it a point to find joy in those tasks.
Here are some ways I find joy in being a homemaker:
- Buy some special cleaners. Normally I use Lysol Wipes or something similar but when I’m feeling burnt out on housework I break out the “special” cleaner. Something that smells especially good. For me it’s anything Mrs. Meyer’s. It seems to take a boring task and make it a little more enjoyable.
- Move things around. I’m not saying move all your furniture but if you want to go for it. Some days when I’m dusting I change-up where my picture frames, candles and other decorations are.
- Browse Pinterest. I find that when I get on Pinterest and look at housekeeping posts, pictures of other people homes and cleaning tips, I am more motivated. I set a goal to make my kitchen look like the one in the picture or my bathroom.
- Put some music on. In our house, even when I’m cleaning, we play kids music. It’s a double whammy because my kids have a dance party and are happy while I get some cleaning done. Our current favorite soundtrack is from the movie Sing.
- Take a day to do something different. Take a day to skip the usual tasks and do something different. Someday I spend my whole day just putting odds and ends away to eliminate clutter. Other days I sort or reorganize toys to make things look neat and tidy. Don’t spend everyday doing the same chores.
- Make your own cleaner. Every now and then I get on Pinterest and find a recipe for a cleaning product or a cleaning hack. The process of making it makes it a little more enjoyable to use it.
- Try a new recipe. I’m really bad about this. I usually cook the same ten things over and over. Days that I branch out and try something new seem to make homemaking more enjoyable and my family happier.
- Light a candle or diffuse some oils. Just by making my house smell better I’m more motivated to clean. Most of the time my house smells like dogs no matter how much I clean. Simply lighting a candle and making it smell better keeps me going.
- Start your chores early. I get started first thing in the morning. My kids get up at six for school but I don’t drop the last one-off until 8:30. I use the in between time to get the kitchen clean, bed made and laundry going. The rest of the day I spend doing other housework, blogging and playing with my toddler.
Do what works for you. For me these tips motivate me to get going even when I’m burnt out. I try to focus on creating a home not just cleaning it.
By writing this post I’ve been motivated to completely de-clutter my kitchen! Off I go, hope you find motivation from reading these tips.
What do you do to enjoy housework a little bit more? Written by: Devon Bernthal
You might also like: 10 Houseplants That Clean the Air